One of the most widely used measures for assessing alcohol abuse, the Michigan Alcohol Screening Test (MAST) is a questionnaire designed to provide a rapid and effective screening for lifetime alcohol-related problems and alcoholism.
To take the quiz below, please choose the selection which best reflects how each statement applies to you. The questions refer to the past 12 months. Carefully read each statement and decide whether your answer is yes or no. Please give the best answer or the answer that is right most of the time.
1. Do you feel you are a normal drinker? ("normal" - drink as much or less than most other people)? Yes / No
2. Have you ever awakened the morning after some drinking the night before and found that you could not remember a part of the evening? Yes / No
3. Does any near relative or close friend ever worry or complain about your drinking? Yes / No
4. Can you stop drinking without difficulty after one or two drinks? Yes / No
5. Do you ever feel guilty about your drinking? Yes / No
6. Have you ever attended a meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous (AA)? Yes / No
7. Have you ever gotten into physical fights when drinking? Yes / No
8. Has drinking ever created problems between you and a relative or close friend? Yes / No
9. Has a family member or close friend gone to anyone for help about your drinking? Yes / No
10. Have you ever lost friends because of your drinking? Yes / No
11. Have you ever gotten into trouble at work because of drinking? Yes / No
12. Have you ever lost a job because of drinking? Yes / No
13. Have you ever neglected your obligations, your family, or your work for two or more days in a row because you were drinking? Yes / No
14. Do you drink before noon fairly often? Yes / No
15. Have you ever been told you have liver trouble such as cirrhosis? Yes / No
16. After heavy drinking have you ever had delirium tremens (D.T.'s), severe shaking, visual or auditory (hearing) hallucinations? Yes / No
17. Have you ever gone to anyone for help about your drinking? Yes / No
18. Have you ever been hospitalized because of drinking? Yes / No
19. Has your drinking ever resulted in your being hospitalized in a psychiatric ward? Yes / No
20. Have you ever gone to any doctor, social worker, clergyman or mental health clinic for help with any emotional problem in which drinking was part of the problem? Yes / No
21. Have you been arrested more than one time for driving under the influence of alcohol? Yes / No
22. Have you ever been arrested, even for a few hours, because of other behavior while drinking? Yes / No
This quiz is scored by allocating 1 point to each 'yes' answer -- except for questions 1 and 4, where 1 point is allocated for each 'no' answer, and then total the responses.
• 0-2 No Apparent Problem
• 3-5 Early to Middle Problem Drinker
• 6 or More Problem Drinker
*This test is meant to be used as a starting point, not as a diagnosis tool. This score is not intended as a mental disorder diagnosis, or as any type of healthcare recommendation.