A Recovery Coach is someone, who through personal knowledge and experience, has a working knowledge of community resources and who understands the many obstacles throughout the journey of recovery. It is the primary goal of a recovery coach to help the client become connected and engaged in the recovery community and is an invaluable tool that is changing the dynamic of recovery every day.
A Recovery Coach/Peer Mentor is a person who coaches, or guides, a peer in the fundamentals of recovery. Peer-based recovery coaching assists individuals in working toward sustainable recovery in a natural environment. It's a professional relationship that is relaxed, comfortable, and friendly.
What a Recovery Coach does…
• assist in exploring options for recovery
• increase choices & set attainable goals
• helps the client identify & reduce barriers to their own success in living a recovery lifestyle
What a Recovery Coach does not do…
• diagnose addiction, alcoholism, or mental health issues
• become a client’s sponsor
• work the 12 Steps with a client