The Grants Specialist works directly with, and reports to the Director of Finance. Responsibilities include grant management activities, to include ongoing review of grants, assistance in the preparation and submission of grant applications, and managing the reporting requirements for funded projects. The role involves daily responsibilities in finance, budgeting, and auditing functions within the Finance Department.
Reports to: Director of Finance
ESSENTIAL JOB RESULTS
SPECIALIZES IN FINANCE, BUDGETING AND AUDITING FUNCTIONS
By assisting the Director of Finance with ongoing monthly and annual financial services, including but not limited to the following types of financial requirements:
- Assist in the preparation of grant applications, to include gathering required documentation, writing and editing narrative sections, and ensuring adherence to specific guidelines and deadlines.
- Review grant agreements to ensure the organization meets all reporting and compliance requirements.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive grants calendar, tracking deadlines for application submissions, progress reports, and final reports.
- Assist in the preparation and submission of accurate and timely financial reports, and any documentation required by grantors.
- Monitor and track grant expenditures against the program budget, ensuring proper allocation and documentation of expenses.
- Review and process monthly expense reports for employees, ensuring compliance with organizational policies and grant guidelines.
- Assist with bi-weekly payroll review, including review of staff timecards, application of benefit changes based on eligibility timeframes, ensure accurate alignment of time off taken, and payout of accrued balances upon employee termination, per agency policies.
- Process payroll as needed, ensuring accuracy and adherence to applicable regulations and grant requirements.
- Review accounts payable, ensuring accuracy and adherence to organizational and grant guidelines.
- Collaboration within the finance department to reconcile financial information, provide audit support, and ensure proper financial controls are maintained.
- Maintains organized grant files and records, including grant agreements, correspondence, reports, and other relevant documentation.
- Stay up to date on grant-related regulations, trends, and best practices in the nonprofit sector.
- Support and assist other team members involved in grant-related activities.
- Prepare and post transactions to journal entries or general ledger
- Reconcile Accounts Receivable to the General Ledger
- Prepare monthly revenue entries for various billing systems based on reports received from the Director of Finance
- Prepare bank deposits and record all receipts in the appropriate ledgers
- Assisting with month-end closing
- Update financial data in QuickBooks to ensure that information is accurate
- Maintain and record fixed assets
- Assist with the preparation of financial statements
- Prioritize and complete projects and assignments according to deadlines
- Assist with other special projects and duties as assigned by the Director of Finance and Executive Director
- Assist in the facilitation of year-end audit work and the preparation of 990 federal tax returns.
- Review lease agreements & memorandums of understanding with outside agencies.
- Assist in the development of proposals & budgets for current and new lines of business
- Prepare 1099 forms
- Assist with 5500 forms preparation
COMPILES DATA FOR OUTCOMES REPORTS
By running designated queries and consolidating information into report format within specified timeframes
COMPLIES WITH AGENCY AND LICENSING STANDARDS
By following policy and procedures detailed in Agency manuals
RESPECTS CLIENTS & STAKEHOLDERS
By recognizing their rights, maintaining confidentiality, completing training in cultural competencies/multicultural diversity, and communicating with clients in a manner to encourage follow-through on treatment and goals
REPRESENTS THE AGENCY IN A PROFESSIONAL MANNER
By professionally representing the Agency, understanding that personal actions reflect on the Agency, and behaving in a manner to meets the code of conduct requirements
CONTRIBUTES TO TEAM EFFORT
By maintaining productive working relationships with peers, stakeholders, and other service providers
SKILLS, ATTRIBUTES & EDUCATION:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration preferred.
- Candidates with an Associate's Degree and relevant work experience in accounting, finance, or nonprofit environments will be given consideration.
- Strong understanding of grant application processes, grant compliance, and reporting requirements.
- Detail-oriented with exceptional organizational and time management skills.
- Proficient in using grant management software, databases, and MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Familiarity with financial management, payroll processing, and accounts payable principles.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong analytical and research skills, with the ability to gather and interpret data for reporting purposes.
- High level of integrity and ethics in handling confidential and sensitive information.
- Excellent interpersonal skills are required, including the desire and ability to work effectively with the public.
- Candidates should desire a small company environment where they will be exposed to and participate in a wide variety of activities within the operation.
- Team building skills to incorporate and blend diverse skill sets and personalities.
- Attention to detail and the ability to self-audit daily work are necessary.
- Ability to regularly sit for long periods (90%) and use a variety of office equipment including, but not limited to, phones, computer keyboards, printers, file cabinets, etc.
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs. on a sporadic basis.
For more information, contact:
Kris Carnahan, Director of Operations & Administrative Services
Heartland Regional Alcohol & Drug Assessment Center
913-789-0952 or 1-800-281-0029
Send resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org